Have you got pepper spray as one of your self-defense tools? If not, then quickly learn how to make DIY homemade pepper spray, because believe it or not, it acts as a lifesaver sometimes.
Perhaps, you are concerned about getting robbed or attacked because you live in the ‘not so good’ side of the city. Or maybe you wish to be well prepared for other similar unfortunate events where you might need to defend yourself from people, such as irrational assailants during an economic crisis.
In any of these cases, if you can create your defense weapon, you can face the consequences confidently.
Products Available On The Market So That You Choose The 5 Best Pepper Spray For Self Defense.
A pepper spray is an excellent non-lethal armament. When needed, it can be swiftly retrieved from your purse or pocket. A pepper spray is a reliable self-defense tool, so much that even weaponry dealers also keep them. Furthermore, you can get one from local superstores, retailers, and sporting goods stores.
Effects Of Homemade Pepper Spray
A pepper spray wouldn’t affect your eyes only, it also has a painful effect on the skin, nose, and even when ingested.
Pepper Spray In Eyes
Only imagining pepper spray in the eyes causes a burning sensation in the eyes. When the pepper spray comes in contact with the eyes, you feel immediate burning, tearing, stinging, temporary blindness, and redness.
Pepper Spray On Skin
If the pepper spray comes in contact with the skin, it causes intense burning and redness.
Pepper Spray Inside The Nose
If you inhale the pepper spray, you might experience irritation of the respiratory tract followed by breathlessness. The immediate effects of inhalation of pepper spray are coughing and sneezing. You might feel stinging sensations in your nostrils.
Pepper Spray Ingested
Ingestion of pepper spray might result in cough, nausea, and vomiting.
Pepper Spray Ingredients
The main ingredient of pepper spray is capsaicin, which is the main cause of stinging sensation on any part which comes in contact with it. Capsaicin is not available in concentrated forms in the market.
However, being the most active component in chili peppers, the chili peppers can give the same burning sensation in dried form.
How To Make Homemade Pepper Spray – Step-By-Step Guide
Let’s go through a step-by-step guide on how to make homemade pepper spray with dried chili pepper.
- Select the right chili pepper by measuring its level of heat on the Scoville heat scale.
- Choose the chili peppers that have around 2000,000 Scoville Units, to make an effective pepper spray.
- Take about 10-12 chili peppers according to the standard size of the spray bottle.
- Dry the chili peppers by hanging them in an area that gets proper sunlight and airflow.
- A fast method to dry the hot peppers is to slice them and put them in the oven or dehydrator at 135 degrees for 5-10 hours.
- After drying the hot peppers, it’s time to grind them up.
- Using a food processor, mince the dried chili peppers finely.
- Make sure not to lose the juice from the pepper.
- Now it’s time to add more pepper spray ingredients, such as a tablespoon of black pepper.
- Black pepper can induce sneezing and coughing, thus acting as an effective addition to the weapon.
- Finally, add in about two cups of vinegar or isopropyl rubbing alcohol. The liquid ingredients are the means for delivering the spray to the target.
- Strain out the solid or larger pieces of pepper.
- Refrigerate the pepper spray mixture for 24-48 hours.
- Before pouring the pepper spray mixture into the spray bottle, strain it again with the help of a funnel and flour sack towel or cheesecloth.
Using The Homemade Pepper Spray
A homemade pepper spray remains effective for about 2-3 months if stored in a refrigerator when not needed. Make sure that the spray bottle you chose can shoot out a concentrated and direct stream of the mixture on the target, and doesn’t travel back on you. While using the pepper spray, hold it tightly, and don’t get confused.
Don’t get too close to the target while spraying otherwise he may grab your arm and prevent the pepper spray attack.
Last but not least, keep in mind that self-defense is very important, be it for a man, woman, or child. You should have at least one thing that you can always carry around as a self-defense tool. A homemade pepper spray is an effective and affordable option in this regard.
Here Is A Nice Video Explaining About, How To Make Homemade Pepper Spray?
Using the right ingredients and making homemade pepper spray is certainly easy. It can help you stay protected without having it in your hand all the time. We hope that you will find this article helpful while making your own pepper spray at home, one that works according to your needs.
We would love to hear from you – what are some of the ways that you have used pepper sprays in your daily life? Or maybe, what are some situations in which you would consider carrying a pepper spray with you? Let us know in the comment section below.
We Wish You All The Best!