Are you thinking of having a wireless switch on one of your walls? You are at the right place because, in this article, we will learn how to install a wireless electrical outlet switch in no time.
In this modern era, wireless technology has proved to be a great solution for several problems including wiring a new switch which can be quite a messy and time-consuming procedure.
We have a related article for you, you can read What Is The Difference Between Socket And Outlet?
A wireless wall switch works by communicating with a plug-in receiver, thus acting as a transmitter.
The Wireless Switches Are Of Two Types:
- Battery-powered switch; They require a battery to run. They are highly affordable but are only sufficient to power a 60v appliance.
- Battery-less switch; They do not need batteries to run. Instead, it works on the principle of sending wireless coded commands to the receiver. This switch can be mounted on any wall which is located within 100 ft. of the receiver.
Whether you are installing a wireless power outlet for tv or your table lamp, it is a hassle-free project as compared to the installation of regular wired switches. Let’s move ahead and find out how to install a wireless light switch so that you can control it from up to 100 ft. away. This method would be applicable for installing a wireless switch for any outlet.
Things You Will Need
- Wireless switch and receiver kit
- Wire nuts
- Wire cutter or wire stripper
- Drilling machine
- Voltage tester
- A screwdriver
- A plastic remodeling box
Install A Wireless Electrical Outlet Switch – Guide
- Before starting the installation of the receiver, turn off the power.
- From the fixture, disconnect the white and black wires using wire strippers.
- Connect the black and white wires to the black and white wires of the receiver, respectively.
- The relay or receiver has red and white wires.
- Connect them to the fixture.
- Replace the metal box in which the fixture is mounted, with a plastic one.
- Another option other than this is mounting a plastic remodeling box near it.
- The significance of this replacement of metal is that the metal tends to shield the radio signals, as a result of which the receiver would not work.
- Mount the wireless wall switch anywhere since it doesn’t require any switch box.
- Drill a hole into the wall where you want to place the wireless switch.
- Place the switch and mount it there with the help of screws and a screwdriver.
- Turn on the power now.
- Follow the programming instructions regarding the receiver.
- It’s time to test the light switch.
- To tuck the receiver into the electrical box safely, turn off the power one more time.
Ta-Da, The Installation Of The Wireless Electric Switch Outlet Has Been Finished.
Getting a wireless electrical outlet switch is quite beneficial as compared to installing ordinary wired switches.
Some Of The Reasons Why You Should Get Wireless Switches Are The Following:
- Instead of pulling down the wall to gain access to the cables, a wireless electrical outlet switch can be used.
- Wireless switches allow quick and easy remodeling or renovation, as it eliminates the hassle of installing new wiring.
- While installing a wired switch in concrete walls or solid brick walls, you need to be very careful while routing and drilling to make a path for the cables, and room for the switch box and switch on the wall. This drilling and routing may necessitate costly repairs by causing damage to the wall. Installing a wireless switch doesn’t require any holes, boxes, channels, or wires, thus, reducing the amount of electrical work.
- One of the most beneficial advantages of wireless switches is the ability of the receiver to receive commands from multiple transmitters. Therefore, switches mounted in different locations can control the same electrical appliance on or off.
Last but not least, installing a wireless electrical outlet switch rather than a conventional wired switch is no doubt a smart idea when you want things to go hassle-free and quick.
Can You Add A Wireless Light Switch Existing Circuit?
Yes, of course, you can add a wireless light switch to your existing wired system with the help of some necessary tools and equipment.
You just need to add the receiver to the existing switch and then attach it with the help of wire nuts.
What Is The Range Of A Wireless Light Switch?
The transmitter and receiver work within a range of 100 feet. So, you can easily control the appliances placed on the same floor or one above it. However, there are some products, the range of which is around 300 feet.
What`s The Difference Between Wireless Switch & Plug?
The main difference is that a wireless switch has an inbuilt receiver, whereas the plug comes with a transmitter only.
Also, with a wireless switch, the setup is easier when compared with a plug because of its built-in receiver which can be easily connected to a wall plate.
Here Is A Nice Video Explaining About, How To Install A Wireless Electrical Outlet Switch?
Here we covered the installation of a wireless electrical outlet switch in detail. You can proceed with installing one for your home or office if you feel it is necessary and beneficial.
However, it’s advisable to hire a professional electrician for this job, unless you are an experienced handyman. We hope you find this article useful.