Are you thinking about installing a smart lock on the front door of your house? You are at the right place because this article will give you a step-by-step guide on how to install a smart lock on front door.
Why would you need to install a smart lock on your front door? Why is a smart lock better than a regular door lock? Being convenient and keyless is the most significant advantage of a smart lock.
Instead of using keys, most smart locks may be accessed through numeric codes, biometric fingerprint scanners, or via an app. Not only this, but smart locks also enable you to keep an eye on anyone who enters your house, such as your house help, gardener, or cook.
Also, you have to check out my post on the Can Smart Locks Be Hacked? [A Complete Guideline]
So, a smart lock is a smart way to upgrade the security measures of your smart house allowing you to monitor remotely. Installing a smart lock is quite simple. Let’s move further and find out how to install a keyless door lock on the front door of your home sweet home.
- A drilling machine
- Smart lock kit
- A smartphone
Steps To Install A Smart Lock On Front Door
So, are you ready to install a smart lock on the front door? Let’s begin with the step-by-step guide to make it easy for you to understand the procedure.
- The first thing to do is to remove the old door lock.
- This can be done with the help of a screwdriver by removing the screws from the lock.
- The lock would be opened up into two halves exposing the deadbolt.
- Slide out the entire lock assembly by removing the screws from the deadbolt. Also, remove the strike plate which is on the door jamb.
- Take a deadbolt mounting plate from the smart lock kit.
- Onto the top and bottom holes of the deadbolt mounting plate, install the screws of the new deadbolt with the help of a screwdriver.
- Now it’s time to install the strike plates. But the already present holes for the strike plate would be quite shallow. In this case, use a drilling machine to dig a bit deeper holes.
- Now you can install longer screws for the strike plates.
- After the installation of the strike plate and deadbolt is completed, make sure that it is properly aligned by throwing the deadbolt 2 or 3 times.
- Here you have to be sure that the deadbolt gets fully inserted into the new strike plate.
- Hold the front side of the smart lock into the lock opening and install the rear mounting bracket.
- For holding the lock while installing the rear mounting bracket, use a tape such as Gaffer’s tape. This would hold the front part of the lock in place without leaving any sticky residue behind.
- Remember, the rear mounting bracket has to be installed one way so that the lock could slide into the correct place.
- Now it’s time for the lock’s back half to be installed.
- Remove the battery cover to gain access to the tab.
- Lift and then press the metal tab down while setting the back portion of the lock in place.
- Now, it’s time for the installation of the batteries.
- For the door which has an open/close detection system, within more than half a portion of the lock, you have to install a magnet on the jamb.
- Hardware installation would be finished upon securing the magnet within the door frame.
- Finally, time for programming the smart lock system.
- Download the app on your smartphone, your smart lock manufacturers will tell you which app you have to install.
- Register with your email address, and send the verification code.
- Gain access to a wireless network and add your smart lock device.
Your New Smart Lock Has Been Installed
Many smart locks can detect fingerprints while some have key codes. It is suggested to write down the code and keep it somewhere safe, in case you fail to memorize it.
Smart locks which are also called digital door locks work on electromechanical principles. When you give a command to lock or unlock the door via the app on your smartphone, the small motor connected to it turns the cylinder within the lock. Most digital or smart locks are mounted on the interior side of the door. Therefore, one cannot tell whether it’s an ordinary door or a smart door.
Here Is A Nice Video Explaining About, How To Install Smart Lock On Door?
Digital door locks no doubt make your life easy through keyless entry and remote monitoring. However, read about how to install a digital door lock carefully before starting the installation procedure.