Wearing your baby can be an amazing way to bond and keep them safe. But it does come with some safety considerations that you should be aware of.
It’s been said that the baby carrier is one of the best inventions of the 21st century for busy parents.
With a baby carrier, you can wear your child comfortably and securely on your front, back, or hip, allowing you to get things done around the house or at work while keeping an eye on your little one.
However, there are some safety tips you should follow when wearing a baby carrier to ensure that you and your children stay safe.
Safety Tips For Wearing A Baby Carrier
1. Make Sure That It Is The Right Fit
Always wear a baby carrier that fits your body well. When picking a carrier make sure that it has adjustable straps or is of a stretchy material to allow for growth. Make sure the baby carrier you are wearing will not constrict your body. Check the length and width of the carrier and if you are in doubt, don’t wear it.
Make sure you have adequate support and strength in your back to be able to carry the weight of the baby without putting strain on your body.
Make sure that the shoulder straps of the baby carrier are secure and not loose. This prevents your baby from falling off the carrier while you are on your errands.
Wear a baby carrier that is easily accessible. So that you can quickly grab it if your baby needs you.
Make sure the baby carrier you are wearing is not too tight and doesn’t create pressure on your back.
2. It Must Be Light Weight
Although there is nothing wrong with baby carriers that are heavy, it’s best to avoid carrying any weight that will not be able to support the weight of the baby. Therefore, it is advisable to carry a baby carrier that is not heavier than 6 pounds.
3. It Is Very Important To Rightly Position The Baby
There Must Be Neck Support
It is very important to make sure that the baby is in a proper position so that he or she does not fall and hurt themselves. This can be achieved by making sure that the baby carrier you are wearing has neck support.
The Head Of The Baby Must Be Properly Supported
If you are planning on carrying your baby for a while, then you must make sure that the baby has comfortable head support.
It Must Be Sturdy And Supportive
You need to make sure that the baby carrier you are using is sturdy and supportive. This means that it should not be too light and flimsy. Also, you must make sure that it is not too bulky to limit your freedom of movement.
It Should Be Comfortable For The Baby
The baby carrier should be comfortable for the baby. You don’t want to carry your baby for long hours in discomfort. It should not be too hot and not too cold. It should be made of soft material that provides warmth to the baby. It should also allow the baby to breathe properly.
4. Make Sure Baby Is Visible
It is very important to make sure that the baby is visible when you are carrying your baby. Even if wearing the baby carrier at your back but still the head of the baby should be in your plain sight. It can be achieved by making sure that the baby carrier is well designed so that it allows the baby’s head to stick out of the carrier.
Make sure that the strap you are wearing goes all the way down to the baby’s bottom. This ensures that the baby’s head is fully exposed and visible. It also helps to develop a connection with the baby that you can kiss or caress the baby whenever you want.
5. Right Positioning Of Baby’s Legs Is Also Very Important
There is an M position in which the baby’s legs should be placed especially for infants and toddlers whose bones are developing and their pelvic area needs support. Even in the cold weather try to avoid tucking the legs in, instead, there should be support from the thigh area down so that the legs can be kept apart.
Make sure that the baby’s legs are not crossed over each other. If this happens, then you need to make sure that the baby is leaning forward so that his or her legs don’t cross.
Benefits Of Wearing A Baby Carrier
- Carrying the baby is good for a baby’s physical, mental and emotional development as he will feel the presence of the parent and see what they are doing and how they are doing it.
- Wearing a baby carrier is a great way to help you connect with your baby in a fun and interactive way. When you carry your baby in a baby carrier, you get to feel your baby’s weight against your body, which can help make you feel more connected to him or her.
- Baby carriers are a great tool for parents looking to get things done. They can be used in the nursery, around the house, and out in public. Wearing your baby in a carrier is so convenient because it frees up your hands to do other things, like cooking dinner or running errands.
- Helps in the safety of the baby as well as makes the baby feel more secure and feel the presence of a guardian. Also in unsafe places babies can be worn discreetly.
- Most importantly they’re comfortable for both parents and baby, so if worn on the back, it must support the back of the parent, as well as lend support to the baby or on the front, it should not be sagging so that it affects the shoulders and back of the parent.
Whether you’re carrying your baby in a front, back, or side-style carrier, safety is essential. Follow the safety tips provided above to keep you and your baby as safe as possible when out and about with your carrier.
Carrying your baby in a baby carrier helps you develop a connection with your baby, which will help him or her to thrive in life. It also allows you to focus on your work or other tasks while your baby is being carried in a safe and comfortable way.
Nonetheless, there are some safety tips that you should keep in mind before choosing the right baby carrier for you and your baby.
We hope this article was useful and we wish you good luck with your baby carrier decision.